Mary Help of Christians Cathedral, Shillong
The Cathedral of Mary Help of Christians is a Cathedral in Shillong, Meghalaya. It is the cathedral of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Shillong which covers the districts of East Khasi Hills and Ri-Bhoi. The Cathedral is the principal place of worship of the over 300,000 strong Catholics of the Shillong Archdiocese which covers RI Bhoi and East Khasi Hills district of Meghalaya. An Archdiocese is a “diocese” or area under the jurisdiction of an Archbishop. In all there are 33 church districts or “Parishes” in the Shillong Archdiocese. The Cathedral Church was built over 50 years ago. Since it also has the “cathedra” – the seat or throne of the Bishop – it is known as a Cathedral Church. Built by the first Catholic missionaries to these hills, the Salvatorians from Germany (of the Society of the Divine Saviour), it was the first Catholic Cathedral Church in what was then the Mission of Assam. Construction of the new church of Mary Help of Christians began on the same site on 25 October 1936. The Cathedral Church was but a place of worship stands on the very site of the first Church built by the German fathers (Salvatorians from Germany).
Sumi Baptist Church, Zunheboto
Sumi Baptist Church, Zunheboto is a church located in Zunheboto, Nagaland, affiliated with the Council of Baptist Churches in Northeast India. The church is considered to be one of the largest church buildings in Asia. The attendance is 10,000 people. the church is founded in 1942. The church building construction began on 5 May 2007 and more than 2000 workers were issued inner line permits to participate in the construction works. It took 10 years to build and was built at a reported cost of 36 crores. The church was dedicated by Rev. Dr. Solomon Rongpi, General Secretary of the Council of Baptist Churches in Northeast India on 22 April 2017.
Catholic Cathedral, Kohima
The Catholic Cathedral is one of the major tourist attraction in Nagaland. Located in the Aradura Hills, it is one of the biggest cathedrals in Northeast. Towards the end of World War 2, Kohima became the site of several clashes between the British Indian troops and the Japanese. In the 1980s, families of fallen Japanese soldiers contributed to the construction of the cathedral. It is a piece of creative art whose interiors and architecture are worth seeing. The capacity of the cathedral is also very high with 3000 sitting arrangements and 1500 standing. The cathedral also conducts reconciliation meetings between British and Japanese War veterans on a regular basis, which serves its purpose.
Ao Baptist Church, Dimapur
Another religious spot is the Ao Baptist Church located in Dimapur. The church is attended by the locals as well as numerous devotees coming from far off places. Including eight other fellowship churches, the Ao Baptist church is under the Nagaland Baptist Church Council. The church comprises of a large prayer hall which accommodates a huge number of devotees. It also runs a number of social welfare programs and includes schools, colleges and health centers. The church also celebrates Christmas, New Year and other festivities with great enthusiasm.
Spirit of Faith Church, Dimapur
The Spirit of Faith Church a popular church of Nagaland, with its head office based in the USA is a major pilgrimage destination. The place also serves as a meeting place for people belonging to different tribes and ethnic backgrounds. The services are being conducted in English and also in Nagamese for the convenience of the locals. The church provides a number of facilities such as open-air preaching, short-term Bible school, audio and video teaching materials, and more. The place is a must visit religious destination while one is in Nagaland, where the power of faith in God can be felt which can lead people’s life to a spiritual path.
Molung and Impur, Mokokchung
A pilgrimage does not always have to be a church or temple, Nagaland also has a pilgrimage village in the district of Mokokchung. This is the first village where the American Baptist was established in the year 1876. The old Mission Building established by the first missionary, Dr. E.W. Clark is still in existence and serve as an inspiration to the visitors. The place is located at the altitude of 500mts above sea level and has been declared as a Naga Christian Pilgrimage and Educational Heritage Village.
Phungyo Baptist Church
The first Christian Church to be established in Manipur in the year 1901 in Ukhrul, the Phungyo Baptist Church was constructed when Reverend William Pettigrew converted 12 members of the Tangkhul Naga tribe the Protestant Christian Baptist faith. Named after the Tangkhul-Naga dialect word for ‘beautiful hill’, the ‘Phungyo’ church sits on top of a beautiful hill in the Ukhrul district. The first church, made of mud walls, was left in ruins after the Allied forces conducted an air raid in search of the Japanese forces during the Second World War. It was on February 1977 that the current church building was reconstructed.
A 3-hr drive from Imphal, this church is a must-visit for its beautifully constructed white building with gigantic steps leading up to its majestic glass doors.
Situated in the outskirts of the capital, this is a Latin cathedral located in Mantripukhri. Constructed in the year 1999, this cathedral is a joyous union of Anglo & Manipuri architecture. One of the most magnificent structures that one will come across in Manipur, this cathedral is housed in a sprawling complex with an imposing statue of Christ greeting the visitor. In the backdrop of surrounding hills, this cathedral is clothed in pink walls & blue roofs – a soothing & unusual sight for the eyes!
Imphal Central Church
Located on the airport road, the Imphal Central Church, also known as the ‘Imphal School of Preaching’, is thronged by a huge number of devotees who attend the daily & weekly prayers held here. Dedicated to Lord Jesus, this Church has a full-time youth minister & preacher who head the activities & gatherings. Many youth programs & religious events are conducted by this Church in the nearby areas.
Mizoram Presbyterian Church Synod
Mizoram Presbyterian Church Synod (Mizoram Presbyterian Kohhran Synod in Mizo) is the largest Christian denomination in Mizoram, northeast India. It was a direct progeny of the Calvinistic Methodist Church (officially named the Presbyterian Church of Wales in 1928) in Wales. It was the first church in Mizoram and is now one of the constituent bodies of a larger denomination Presbyterian Church of India (PCI), which has its headquarters in Shillong, Meghalaya. The administrative body called the Mizoram Synod has its headquarters at Mission Veng, Aizawl. As the first church, it remains the largest denomination in Mizoram. Mizoram Presbyterian Church was established and founded by Welsh missionaries. The Welsh church had formed Foreign Missionary Society in 1840 in Liverpool to provide missionaries to India. Chosen for Mizoram, Jones arrived in Aizawl on 31 August 1897. The pioneer missionaries F.W. Savidge and J. H. Lorrain, commissioned by Arthington Aborigines Mission, welcomed him and prepared him for his mission. The two missionaries had arrived in 1894 and started school, created Mizo script, and prepared grammar and dictionary. Jones stayed with them until the two departed on 31 December 1897 as Arthington Aborigines Mission handed over the mission field to Welsh Mission. On his birthday on 15 February 1898, Jones opened a school at his bungalow which was subsequently used as a congregational meeting place such as for worship and Sunday schools. In August 1897, the Welsh Mission had arranged a Khasi Christian Rai Bahadur and his family from Khasi Hills to help Jones, therefore the first enlisted members of the congregation consisted of 6 Khasis in addition to Jones and his wife