WAR MEMORIAL OF GUWAHATI
This War Memorial is near the Dighalipukhuri park in Latasil of Guwahati. It is on the back side of the High court. War Memorial campus is in such a way that from here the visitor can also enjoy the scenic beauty of the big Dighalipukhuri Tank.
Inside this campus, firstly you will see on the left-hand side an army tank and on the right-hand side an aircraft donated by Indian Army and Indian Air Force which was used in war. In front of that, you will see an environment of the Great Sariaghat Battle between the Ahoms and Mughals. You can go downstairs to see these statues from near.
Artist has created some sculptures of a boat at which warriors are fighting. This replica of Saraighat battle reminds every Assamese of the fight and make them think about their land. It tells the people how the chief warrior Lachit Barphukan had fought for Assam against Mughals and was able to defeat the enemies and save Assam. The center of attraction of this War Memorial is the history of great Battle of Saraighat which is the biggest war that ever happened in Assam yet. Apart from that big statue on the walls of this campus the battle of Saraighat is being described with the help of different artistry.
Along with this, you can also see how the soldiers faced and fought in wars like Kargil war, attack on Karachi by Indian Navy in 1971 and Sino -Indian War. Wall artistry represents all. A replica of ‘Amar Jawan ‘ is also here. This a small place but yet so important. It is made to show respect and gratitude towards our martyrs. Please visit this site once, and you will step out with proud feelings about our soldiers.
Get any assistance from us by visiting here. We are always there to support for every tourist visiting in this city.
Guwahati War Cemetery
soldiers who perished in W.W.1 and W.W 2, some lie buried here, from many nationalities and well maintained. a peaceful cemetery in memory of those who sacrificed their lives.
DIGBOI WAR CEMETERY
Digboi is in the north-eastern corner of the state, near the Burmese border and on the road to Ledo. Digboi War Cemetery is outside the town some 1.5 kilometers from the main India Oil (Assam) Works on the road to Pengaree Tea Estate. During the Second World War the state of Assam, in India’s Eastern Command, was an operational area of the Burma Campaign. Digboi, in the north-eastern corner of the state, near the Burmese border and on the road to Ledo, was on the lines of communication, and a military hospital was established there. Digboi War Cemetery was started for burials from the hospital and at the end of the war contained 70 burials. Later, the Army Graves Service brought in further graves from burial grounds in Panitola, Jorhat, Margherita, Tinsukia and Ledo, where permanent maintenance could not be assured, and one from the US Military Cemetery at Shingvuoiyang in Burma. Originally the cemetery stood on a small spur rising sharply from the main road, but an earthquake in 1950 caused cracks and subsidence, one fissure extending the full length of the cemetery. Subsequent landslides occasioned by heavy rains, particularly in 1953, so endangered the cemetery that it became necessary to move the graves to the present site which is not likely to be affected by erosion. The cemetery now contains 197 Commonwealth and 3 non-Commonwealth (1 Italian, 1 American and 1 Belgian) burials of the Second World War.
India Peace Memorial
On the 20th of May 1944, at the peak of the Second World War, 500 Japanese soldiers marched to Imphal for the Battle of the Red Hill. A nine-day battle ensued between the Japanese & the British forces, which originally had control over Imphal. The battle came to an end when most of the Japanese force was decimated by the British with their infantry, armor & tanks. Only 40 of the estimated 500 Japanese soldiers survived.
In memory of those who died in battle, Japan constructed the India Peace Memorial on the site of the Battle of Red Hill, at Tiddim road near Maibam village. The memorial is made of concrete walls, a red sandstone floor & 3 large uncut sandstone blocks at the far end. These blocks are said to symbolize the blood split between Indian, Japanese & British soldiers!
Khongjom War Memorial
Khongjom War Memorial, 36 km. from Imphal on the Indo-Myanmar road is a major historical place. It was here that Major General Paona Brajabashi, one of the great warriors of Manipur proved his valor against the superior might of the invading British Army in 1891. The hillock at the foot of which he laid down his life in defense of his motherland, is reminiscent of the past heroic deeds of Manipuri warriors. A war memorial has been constructed on the top of Kheba hill and Khongjom day is celebrated every year on 23rd April.
IMPHAL WAR CEMETERY
The easiest route from Burma (now Myanmar) to India is through Imphal into Assam and after the invasion of Burma, Imphal became a focal point in the defense of India against the Japanese. Early in 1942, as the Japanese approached Rangoon, a very large proportion of its Indian population fled from the city to India, many of them to Upper Burma and so by Chindwin tracks to Assam. In May of that year, Commonwealth forces followed the same route on their retreat to India. In their wake came still more civilian refugees, many of whom died on the arduous journey under the ceaseless heavy rain, without transport and food. Of the 400,000 civilians who fled to India, about 140,000 passed through Imphal into Assam. The defense of India and the retention of a position from which Burma could be re-entered now became of primary importance. The 23rd Indian Division was formed in Manipur State, new airfields were constructed there, and army and air force reinforcements arrived. Eventually, there was a considerable concentration of Commonwealth fighting forces in the Imphal area and from November 1944 onwards, No. 38 General Hospital was posted there. Strategically well placed for attacks on the lines of communication by railway, road, and a river which were vital for the maintenance of all Allied operations in Burma, Imphal with its airfields was the main objective when the Japanese made their thrust towards India in the spring of 1944. There was severe fighting in the surrounding hills and on the outskirts of the plain and the Japanese succeeded in cutting a long section of the Imphal-Kohima road and holding it for over three months. The Fourteenth Army held on grimly, inflicting heavy punishment on the Japanese. Of all the battles on this frontier of India the siege of Imphal and its relief in the summer of 1944 rank next in importance to the Battle of Kohima. There were originally some 950 burials in Imphal War Cemetery, but after hostilities had ceased, the Army Graves Service brought in graves from two smaller cemeteries in Imphal and from isolated positions in the surrounding region. The cemetery now contains 1,600 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War.
IMPHAL INDIAN ARMY WAR CEMETERY
IMPHAL INDIAN ARMY WAR CEMETERY was started during the fighting and later, Muslim graves were brought in from a number of small civil cemeteries in the district. The graves are mostly those of Muslim soldiers of the army of undivided India, but a small number of East and West African soldiers who were Muslims are also buried there. The cemetery now contains 828 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War. At the southern end of the cemetery stands the IMPHAL CREMATION MEMORIAL which commemorates 868 Hindu and Sikh soldiers and airmen killed in the battle for Imphal whose remains were cremated in accordance with their faith.
KOHIMA CREMATION MEMORIAL
The Japanese advance into India was halted at Kohima in April 1944 and Garrison Hill, along wooded spur on a high ridge west of the village, was the scene of perhaps the most bitter fighting of the whole Burma campaign when a small Commonwealth force held out against repeated attacks by a Japanese Division. The fiercest hand to hand fighting took place in the garden of the Deputy Commissioner’s bungalow, around the tennis court, but the heaviest casualties on both sides occurred after relieving forces reached the Garrison and the Japanese were driven off the ridge, so re-opening the road to Imphal. KOHIMA WAR CEMETERY lies on the battleground of Garrison Hill. No trace remains of the bungalow, which was destroyed in the fighting, but white concrete lines mark and preserve permanently the historic tennis court. The cemetery now contains 1,420 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War. At the highest point in the cemetery stands the KOHIMA CREMATION MEMORIAL commemorating 917 Hindu and Sikh soldiers whose remains were cremated in accordance with their faith. At the lower end of the cemetery, near the entrance, is a memorial to the 2nd Division. It bears the inscription;- “When you go home Tell them of us and say, For their tomorrow – We gave our today.” The cemetery also contains a memorial to the 2nd Battalion, the Dorsetshire Regiment and a number of other regimental memorials have been erected on and near Garrison Hill.